Friday, January 25, 2013

If I knew I was going to find THAT I would have started this years ago.

Cleaned out the big bathroom yesterday. I have been showering with a headless Ariel doll for so long that it doesn't even bother me anymore. Poor Ariel. She just wanted feet and my kids mistook her for Marie Antoinette.

I cleared out a full trash bag of half empty lotions, deodorants, busted hair ties, and icky bath toys. My shelves are functional again. I'm keeping a mental list of my favorite items that are being unearthed as I do this, and yesterday's grab was two sample bottles of La Mer skin products. I haven't shopped at a store that even SELLS La Mer since before Van was born, and unless Target strikes a deal for french cosmetics anytime soon, I'm going to have to savor these little beauties.

Just past the halfway point in this project I have an observation. I'm working upstairs at the moment, and I find that if I let my guard down, the first floor of the house quickly gets overrun again. I realize that the goal of this is rid my home of upwards of 400 items, freeing us from being owned by our stuff. And I love that parts of my house are so much more relaxing - but when you have a busy family of 4 [or 3, or 6, or whatever] things come back into your life very quickly. I really do not want to feel like I've made this colossal effort only to look around in 3 months and wonder where all my lovely surfaces went.

I originally started this post on Tuesday, but unfortunately we had some health issues crop up in my family, and for the first time I had to skip a day while I helped out. Everyone is going to be just fine, and I will hopefully return to my list tomorrow. I have to clean out our main coat closet, and I'm actually a little excited. I expect to find Hoffa. -L.


No comments:

Post a Comment